Thursday, October 14, 2010

Where did his underwear go?

One of the things I hate about the supernatural is that it is a rare case where clothes are explained. How many times have you watched a movie or read something where the fully clothed vampire turns to mist, slides under the door, reforms, and everything is just as it was on the other side including the cheap bat necklace? How about when a werewolf transforms and his clothes magically disappear or find themselves folded neatly on the floor? Now, before you say it, I am perfectly capable of suspending belief.  My complaint isn't about the abilities. If the bloodsuckers want to turn into mist or bats I am all for it, but that comes from their ability to change themselves not their clothes. I guess they are magical clothes right? Pfft, that's just lazy imaginations being bored.

"So what's your solution Mr. Smartypants?"  I will tell you my solution... the Cerbera. I don't want to give away too much about what the Cerbera are, but they will be filling a very important role in my novel.  They are to me what unstable molecules are to the Marvel Universe. If you are a high school chemistry student you know that unstable molecules are what go BOOM! in the night. However, if you are a comic fan, then you already know that Reed Richards (super-genius) of the Fantastic Four created suits made of unstable molecules after his team got their powers. The suits alter themselves at a molecular level when the wearer utilizes their power. That's how the Invisible Woman's uniform disappears along with her, Mr. Fantastic's uniform stretches when he does, and how the Human Torch isn't naked after every "Flame On!"

I know what you are thinking, but yes such a thing could exist fairly soon. It would most likely be made out of carbon with today's technology. Think about where we are at in clothing production. We are able to produce memory foams, adaptive camouflage, and regular clothing items that can be twisted, stretched, reshaped, super-heated, electrified, and then they go back to normal when they are no longer being stimulated into another form. If I take what we can actually make now for military use and sports apparel, add what physics says we could do (thank you Dr. Kakalios) and throw in a dash of vampire magic with a Spawn cape...POOF! I have the Cerbera. I am sure everyone that reads my novel will want one!

No comments:

Post a Comment