Monday, October 4, 2010

What's In A Name?

I should probably explain the title of this blog. Originally, the blog was supposed to be called Zombies Are Crap At Knitting. I even had it posted for a while and all seemed well. Little did I know that someone had already staked their claim on the title of my blog. I did my research before picking the name but in the end Tina Seamonster had dibs.

I pondered, toiled, and often forgot to think about what new name I should choose. Sometimes inspiration is subtle and other times it punches you in the face and calls you names. I got punched.  Years ago, BEFORE the Matrix was released, I came up with a tag line used for a hair and fashion show extravaganza, "True artistry isn't thinking outside the box, it's realizing there is no box."  Now, I am not calling shenanigans on the W. Bros for using that damn spoon line in their movie but their people were there...all I'm sayin'.  

There is also a connection between the title and my childhood. One of my favorite Weekly Reader books was a story about a little girl with red hair who was able to transform a large cardboard box into anything with enough decoration and imagination. As a guy who grew up on a street with very few kids, it was my imagination or nothin' and I related to that character 100%.

So here we are once again realizing There Is No Box. I  am attempting to free myself from the confines I have allowed to form around me.  I made a good name for myself as an artist and designer before I had even graduated college. I was known for blending styles and doing things no one expected. In a time when others were still using Photoshop 1.0 in B/W, I was doing full color digital coloring in 3.0 and getting on the Adobe Design Team.

There is a long story about how the old me got lost down the winding roads of what he had to do, instead of what he wanted to do.  I have often found that what you have to do is a much straighter path than the curving one of what you want to do. Success/fulfillment is getting to your destination no matter the path chosen.

I'm ready for some twists and turns again.
JOE

2 comments:

  1. I agree! The straight path might be easier, but the scenic route is always the way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on joining the blogging world, Joe!! And wow...am I special, or what?? I'm one of two blogs that you follow! Woot!

    ReplyDelete