Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Why did the chicken cross the road and other plot holes...

Special thanks to my Saturday Writers buddy Sioux, over at SiouxsPage, who sent me a link to Savage Chickens. It will now be a part of my morning check of blogs. Before I knew it, I had spent almost half an hour looking at chicken cartoons this morning.  They are drawn by Doug Savage on Post-Its of varying size and posted almost daily.


This seems to be a week for old hats. As some of you know, I am stepping down at the end of the year as director of my paramedic school. The plan was for me to step down into a part time position dealing with our clinical sites. My intent was to open up a lot of time for me to devote to writing. In the course of two minutes it was decided, without my input, that I would instead be getting my original job back as EMT instructor.

Going back to being an instructor is good and bad. The good of it is teaching is what I love. No matter what job I have had in the past, I have wound up being an instructor or trainer for it. The best part about teaching for me is that it's a job and not work.  The bad is that it means working on Tuesdays and Thursdays for 14 hour shifts. I'm off the rest of the week but those are some long days. 

The biggest downer is that I was finally going to be able to attend Coffee and Critique...now I won't be able to. There are probably a couple of people who just breathed a sigh of relief and don't know why. I'm not sure C&C could handle the demonic, zombified, vampire bitten, bloodied victims of scarecrow inspired psychopaths that I would bring to the table. 

There are a lot of online critique forums out there but they are usually very lacking in professionalism and well...talent.  The Critters group on Critique.org looks very promising though and I have applied for that. Now, what I need is a proofreader who can handle the material...I can pay in cash and pilfered chicken cartoons.   

JOE   

2 comments:

  1. Hey Joe,
    We would love to hear your stories at C&C on Tuesday mornings.
    Donna v.
    http://donnasbookpub.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe you should start doing cartoons every morning on a post-it. :)

    ReplyDelete