Tuesday, November 30, 2010

NaNoWriMo... Winner Winner Chicken Dinner!

Back on November 1st, I set out to complete a 50,000 word novel. On November 30th, 52,923 words were submitted for my 2010 NaNoWriMo Winner's Certificate! NaNoWriMo 2010 is done...it's over...and I can't wait to do it again next year. This NaNo wasn't really about getting a work of fiction completed, it was about learning how I write and where I can improve environment and lifestyle for self-improvement. Here are a few insights...

I learned that writing a novel is a totally different mindset for me compared to academic or short stories. I normally write during 10PM and 2AM. The house is at its quietest then and I can get thoughts typed out without barking dogs or cats wanting to let me know I am still their prisoner. I found that I typed fastest first thing in the morning for the novel. I mean FIRST thing... wakeup, bathroom, type. If I so much as ventured downstairs for something to drink I would start finding distraction after distraction to slow me down.

I never use outlines for anything. I can't stand them and have always thought they are a complete waste of time...until now. I really think the program I used for NaNo, Scrivener, is responsible for this new way of thinking. One of the features is to create note cards for chapters that include summaries or other notes you need to stay on track. You can also break those summaries down even further into scenes. It really is a very neat program that you can try for free. There is another totally free program called yWriter that has similar functions but I really liked the user interface of Scrivener better.

My biggest surprise was how much I missed blogging! There is a woman sipping tea thinking she told me so right now. I really did miss it and found it was a great way to clear my head or give me a little side project to do between work. I plan to get back into blogging, now as a matter of fact, and continue on with it. Expect a few changes as I plan to put a little more personal stuff into it.

What's next you ask? Getting a new computer, writing some short stories for contests, and a little something called the Order of Scarecrow. We can watch the horror of it all together.

JOE

2 comments:

  1. Hi Joe,
    Congratulations. How wonderful that you are a NaNo Winner!
    "Order of Scarecrow" is a great title for a short story.
    Donna V.
    http://donnasbookpub.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! I am so proud of you! I can't wait to see what terrifying story is waiting ahead on the horizon!

    ReplyDelete